Do's and Don't's of Car Quality - Vol.152
All cars require general maintenance in order to keep them in good condition. The quality of the car will factor heavily into the price you get when you want to sell it. There are also different things you should and not do with regards to the quality of the car and these are both general and specific.
General Quality Care
Things you should do on a regular basis:
- * Make a point of washing your car every week or two. You should not wait until it is so dirty that it is hard to tell what color it is.
- * Use a car organizer to keep things in the proper place inside the car. This includes having a garbage can for the trash instead of throwing it on the floor.
- * Take out the floor mats for cleaning and to air them out when you wash the car.
- * Dust the dash of the car.
- * Check the oil levels on a frequent basis as well as the water level in the radiator.
- * Make sure that you have the correct air pressure in the tires.
- * Replace the tires when they start to wear because this can put the car out of alignment.
- * Have a professional change the oil on the car at the check points recommended by the car manufacturer.
- * Get any dents and scratches repaired as soon as possible.
- * Check for faults in the lights on the car so as to avoid an accident.
Things you should not do:
- * Never use harsh chemicals to clean your car. This could mar the finish on the paint.
- * If you have leather seats, always use the right cleaning product to take out stains.
- * Try not to use your air-conditioning all the time.
- * Don't keep the engine running when you are waiting for a long period of time.
- * In cold weather, don't start the car and drive away immediately. The engine needs a few minutes to warm up.
- * Don't use parts from another make or model if you need repairs.
Listen to your car
This may seem like a strange thing to do but when you get used to the noises that come from your car you will be able to discern when there is a problem. Strange clicking or knocking noises should be attended to promptly, but unless you have skills as a mechanic you should never start tinkering around with any belts or hoses. This is something that auto repair specialists are trained to do and they can diagnose and correct any problems for you.
Try to keep the mileage as low as possible on the engine of your car. Cars that have low mileage will fetch a higher price on a trade or in a sale. Do not try to mix your own additives for the gasoline unless you really do know what you are doing. It is better if you pay the small amount of extra money and purchase premium gasoline. Your engine will be cleaner and run smoother, you won't be emitting as many greenhouse gases into the atmosphere and you will get better mileage for the money that you spend in fuel.
If you have a garage then you should drive the car inside whenever possible to protect the exterior from the elements of the weather. A car is an expensive purchase and you expect it to last you a long time. You should take whatever precautions you can to keep it in good quality. Regular inspection is a key factor in ensuring that your car will be able to take you wherever you want to go whenever that may be.